The Football Supporters’ Association (FSA) is coordinating a new campaign, the ‘Sustain the Game’ initiative, to protect the “very existence” of clubs across the country.
With the coronavirus pandemic threatening many clubs due to the financial ramifications of a lack of fixtures and no fans being permitted into stadia, the FSA believes pre-existing issues within the game have been magnified.
‘Sustain The Game’ is built around five key principles and aims to protect clubs, increase transparency, implement strong independent financial controls, strengthen the football pyramid, and increase supporter engagement.
Sustain The Game Principles:
- Protect our clubs – football clubs are community assets and an important expression of individual and local identity, they deserve legal protection and urgent support to secure their future;
- Transparency – everyone has a right to know who owns their club, and how clubs and the authorities operate. Owners are custodians of clubs on behalf of all of us;
- Financial controls – fans want rules with real teeth which are independently enforced, clubs and leagues can’t be left to regulate themselves;
- Strengthen the pyramid – football as a whole is wealthy, but we need a smarter and fairer use of the money in the game to encourage sustainability;
- Supporter engagement – fans are the lifeblood of the game, they need a voice in their clubs and on all issues that affect them and their communities
BIAS are fully committed to the FSA’s ‘Sustain the Game’ campaign which has been launched with the backing of other fans’ groups from across the country as well as senior politicians and football pundits.
We believe football occupies a special space in our society as clubs carry huge cultural and local economic importance to their local communities. This campaign highlights the urgent need for action to secure the very existence of many clubs during these difficult times.
To find out more about Sustain The Game! and see all signatories visit: www.thefsa.org.uk
We will provide further updates on this campaign on an ongoing basis
BIAS is an affiliate member of the FSA and we will continue to do all we can to improve the experience and pleasure of the match day event not only for Brentford supporters but all fans who follow football.
Please join us today if you are not already a member, as we need your support. Membership is FREE and it only takes a couple of minutes to join – just visit our website: bias.org.uk/join
TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER