We have received the following information from the SLO at Barnsley FC with regards to Pedestrian access to the ground.
Jumble Lane Railway Crossing
Supporters and those using the town centre are advised of changes to the Jumble Lane crossing for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 football seasons until the new Market Gate Bridge is installed.
When the crossing was closed in March 2019, a temporary bridge was erected over it. However, that bridge will be closed for an hour before kick-off, during the match and an hour after each home game until further notice to support the safety of fans and other users. This is subject to change based on individual matches.
The alternative walking routes include:
- Midland Street, Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Kendray Street, Mayday Green, Cheapside, Wesley Street, Lambra Road, Pontefract Road, Grove Street
There will be no access for supporters via the Alhambra Centre.
As part of the operation, the following changes will be in place at Barnsley Interchange:
- There will be no access through the Interchange, where the bridge will be closed except for those with access needs.
- Access to and from the bus station will be via Eldon Street and Schwäbisch Gmünd Way
- Access to the Interchange from Schwäbisch Gmünd Way will be for access to the railway station only, including being open for fans travelling to and from the game by rail.
- The existing temporary accessible route via Schwäbisch Gmünd Way and the transport interchange is available for those with access needs.
In addition, a number of closures to roads and access points will be in place from half an hour before the planned end of the football match until approximately an hour after full-time (2.45pm to 4.15pm):
- Part of Eldon Street North will be closed in both directions between its junction with Schwabisch Gmund Way and the Interchange entrance with diversions via Old Mill Lane, Huddersfield Road, Church Street and Regent Street.
- Parts of Pontefract Road will be closed.
- Access on Schwabisch Gmund Way will be one-way (south only) towards Harborough Hill Road.
- Harborough Hill – Northbound off and Southbound off exit slip roads will be closed.
- Market Gate car park will be closed until 6pm.
Bus services will also be diverted during this time: inbound via Harborough Hill Road, Old Mill Lane, Church Street and Regent Street, outbound via Eldon Street, Market Hill, St Mary’s Gate, Old Mill Lane, Sheffield Road.
Supporters are reminded to use the designated and installed crossing points on the roads for their own safety and the safety of other match-going fans. Wheelchair users or supporters with pushchairs are advised to use the pavement/footway on the Court House side of Eldon Street during peak times to avoid congestion.
Market Gate Bridge will link the existing public transport and the Market Gate car park to The Glass Works as part of the redevelopment of Barnsley town centre. It will be fully accessible and will accommodate footfall on match days.
For more information on parking, follow the following link
Barnsley Council and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.