Brentford 1 Oldham Athletic 0

Jonathan Douglas’ last minute header was enough to give Brentford all three points in Mark Warburton’s first game as Brentford manager. The win was Brentford’s eighth in nine games and lifts them up to third.

With the wind affecting play, both teams struggled to keep the ball down and with Oldham’s aggressive approach, Brentford found it hard to break them down.

The first real chance of the game was a glancing Harlee Dean header from a corner but Oldham goalkeeper Mark Oxley held comfortably. Brentford had another chance when Clayton Donaldson came close to scoring from an Alan McCormack corner but it went over.

Oldham had done their homework and left no space down the wings for Kadeem Harris as time and again he was crowded out by the dodged Oldham defence. And it was the visitors who had a glorious chance to score as McCormack lost the ball in midfield and Carl Winchester broke with four Oldham players in support with only Tony Craig back. Craig however used all his years of experience and stood his ground forcing Winchester to hesitate which allowed Craig to get the block in and clear.

Donaldson had another chance soon after but his turn and shot on the edge of the area was blazed over the bar. Soon after after some nice interplay between Forshaw and Bidwell on the left, Bidwell hit a low cross and Grigg turned the shot inches wide.

Oldham had a flurry of chances late on in the first half with Petrasso, Philliskirk and Smith all having good chances with Philliskirk hitting the side-netting.

The second half began the way the first half went, with Brentford having more of the ball but struggling to break down the Oldham defence.

Dean had chances from corners but the Oldham resistance was still holding firm. The introduction of Sam Saunders was the spark that Brentford needed and he crossed in a superb ball but Douglas and Donaldson got in each others way and the chance was gone.

Oldham almost gifted Brentford the lead when Jonathan Grounds almost headed past his own keeper but Oxley managed to tip it over the bar for a corner.

Oldham were hitting Brentford on the counter and forced a corner. Winchester’s corner found Grounds and his header was cleared off the line by McCormack.

With 90 minutes on the clock and 4 minutes added time, Brentford fans may of thought that they wouldn’t score, but with the late comeback against Peterborough a few weeks ago the Brentford faithful still had faith. And on the 93rd minute Sam Saunders cut in from the right and put in a perfect left foot cross and Jonathan Douglas rose above the defence and headed in the winner.

Report by Alex Callow