Brentford 3 Peterborough United 2

Brentford regained the lead after being behind to lift the roof off of Griffin Park in game which did League One proud.


Nothing beats a game of football under the flood lights of GP and this game was a cracker.

Peterborough who are a good side arrived at GP on the back of four straight league defeats determined to give the rejuvenated Bees a stern test.

The visitors started well and it was easy to see why there early form was so good and why despite their recent woeful league form they were above the Bees in the table.

Button was forced to make a couple of excellent saves as the Posh pilled on the pressure.

In face the visitors were actually on top when the Bees were gifted the lead courtesy of  a superb home goal when a cross into the box was powerfully headed home, past the outstretched keeper who could just about get his finger tips to the bullet header

The Bees kicking towards the BIAS stand in the second half looked to be holding their own and withstanding the visitors pressure when a half volley was struck superbly from about 8 -10 yards outside the Brentford penalty which screamed passed Button in the Brentford goal to send the 400 odd travelling supporters wild.

Two minutes later the travelling fans were celebrating again when Assombalonga ran into the box and with a low shot into the Brentford net.

Two –  One down, it was time for change,  Grigg replace Trotta and Farid replaced Harris. The Bees upped the temp as they played more direct.

With the ball moving around the Peterborough penalty box like a pinball, it was beginning to look like it was never going to in, especially when the referee appeared to miss a penalty when Saville header was scrambled home by Grigg  in a goal line melee.

With the night time crowd re-awakenend the resurgent Bees were egged on push forward.

Saunders replaced Saville to increase the Bees options up front.

Farrid did well to win a header in the middle of the park from a bees clearance, heading the ball forwards and in the path of the advancing Don. Clayto took on the defender, rasoting him down the left wing and with a low hard drive into the opposite corner he placed the ball sublimely into the New Road side corner of the Peterbourgh goal.

Griffin Park erupted with delight and as the crowd sang in appreciation and with three minutes on the clock Brentford pushed forward in search of fourth. It almost cam when Craig shot from well outside the area only to be thwarted by the Posh keepers finger tips.

The ref added five minutes now sponsored extra time and when he blew the